Episode 15. REVEALED: What Used to Work in Marketing Doesn’t Work Anymore (+ what works now)
Let’s take a trip back in time to when I first started my online business. What was the marketing landscaping looking like and what was going on in the online business world at that time? I’ll dig into the details in the episode, but I can tell you one thing for sure: things are so different today. I’m going to share what was working when I started my business, what’s no longer working, the marketing strategies that DO work now, and look ahead to predict where things are going. It’s the past, present, and future of marketing for online businesses!
In this episode, you’ll hear…
- 01:53 – Why you need to get cozy with constant change
- 12:28 – The trends that dominated the online marketing scene when I first started
- 19:19 – Why true authenticity is a winning strategy
- 25:51 – The importance of community depth over audience size
- 27:08 – Shifting from a launch-focused strategy to evergreen products and programs
- 29:16 – Putting a face to the name of your business
- 33:59 – How to take advantage of the new trend toward micro educational video content 36:19 – Why doing things on your terms works best
Getting comfortable with the constantly changing landscape of online marketing
The online business landscape is constantly changing, and, whether you’ve been doing this for six days, six months, or six years, you’ve likely already experienced it. Things can change so fast that you’ll often hear conflicting pieces of advice or information on the same day. Being comfortable with change is essential, but it also doesn’t mean you need to revamp your strategy with every tweak to the algorithm. Learn to pay attention to the broader changes happening in the landscape, stick to tried-and-true strategies, but don’t get stuck in your ways when the landscape changes again.
What was trending in online business when I first started
Six years ago it was very common to see very structured, formulaic blog and social media posts. They were so predictable and so common that you would see nearly identical posts all the time. Similarly, many people would structure their programs the same as their competitors. Freebies were everywhere, and it felt as if everyone was competing to see who’s PDF freebie could be the longest – and everyone called theirs “juicy.” 🙄 It was also very popular to tout how much money you made online without any context or accountability. Mission statements, social responsibility, inclusion, and values weren’t widely shared. And lastly, so much of online business was focused on the launch and less on evergreen content.
The marketing strategies that are crucial to success today
One of the most important aspects of success today is genuine authenticity. That’s become a bit of a buzzword – and, in some cases, a bad word – when we see all of the performative authenticity out there. This doesn’t mean sharing everything about yourself, but sharing the goofy parts of yourself, the things that make you unique, and not being afraid to share your true experience. You can be yourself and you will find your crew. It’s also becoming more apparent that the depth we have with our followers is much more important than the number of people following us. And as far as product offerings go, people are much more focused on evergreen offers than big product launches – likely because of a shift towards lifestyle over money at all cost.
As you can see, a lot has changed in just six years, but it didn’t change overnight, and your strategy doesn’t have to either. Observe the greater changes in the industry and you’ll be able to adjust your strategy gradually, and in your own time, without falling behind.
Listen to On Your Terms on your favorite podcast platform
Listen to the show on your favorite podcast player and be sure to follow, and leave a review to help introduce the show to more online business owners just like you!
Resources Discussed in This Episode
- Listen to Episode 14. How to Market Your Evergreen Product (+ Which Platforms You Should Be On!): samvanderwielen.com/episode-14
- Listen to Episode 6. Staying Nimble as an Entrepreneur: samvanderwielen.com/episode-6
- The Lifestyle Edit (Naomi) thelifestyleedit.com
- Olive & June Nail Kit – get 20% off (affiliate link): http://fbuy.me/v/samanthafoss
If you’re ready to legally protect and grow your online business today, save your seat in my free workshop so you can learn how to take the simple legal steps to protect the business you’ve worked so hard to build. Click here to watch the free workshop so you can get legally legit right now!
- Join my free Legal Workshop “5 Steps to Legally Protect & Grow Your Online Business” here
- Read Sam’s Blog for the latest legal tips, podcast episodes & behind the scenes of building her seven-figure business.
- Listen to our customer stories to see how getting legally legit has helped 1,000s of entrepreneurs grow their own businesses.
- Join the Free Legal Workshop
- Follow Sam on Instagram for legal tips, business-building advice & daily food + Hudson pics
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow my podcast, On Your Terms, on Instagram so you catch all our episodes
- Subscribe and follow on all podcast platforms and activate notifications for new episodes
- Kajabi // use Kajabi to sell your course, program, or even build your entire website. Get a 30-day free trial with my link.
- SamCart // what I use for my checkout pages and payment processing and LOVE. And no, not because it’s my name.
- ConvertKit // what I use to build my email list, send emails to my list, and create opt-in forms & pages.
DISCLAIMER: Although Sam is an attorney she doesn’t practice law and can’t give you legal advice. All episodes of On Your Terms are educational and informational only. The information discussed here isn’t legal advice and isn’t intended to be. The info you hear here isn’t a substitute for seeking legal advice from your own attorney.
On Your Terms is a production of Crate Media.