Episode 18. 10 Easy Instagram Reels Tips (+ How to Use Music Legally)
Instagram Reels: You either love ‘em or you hate ‘em – or sometimes a bit of both all at once. If you listen to all the people out there, you’re bound to hear both sides of it, that Reels are a waste of time and also the only way to grow your business. Let’s cut through the noise and figure out how you can create content that actually moves the needle while using your valuable time effectively. In this episode, I detail 10 tips for Instagram Reels focusing on what’s best for your business, not what’s going to get you the most views. Because growing our business is what we’re all here for, right?
In this episode, you’ll hear…
- 04:00 – The mistakes people make when it comes to Instagram Reels
- 07:20 – My background with Reels
- 13:17 – Using music legally
- 16:01 – Thinking evergreen with Reels content
- 17:21 – Letting people get to know you
- 19:17 – Getting people to read your captions
- 23:39 – Making your point in the caption
- 26:15 – Having fun while making it educational
- 28:31 – Don’t take it too seriously
- 30:40 – How to find trending audio
- 31:59 – Get inspiration from related entrepreneurs
- 33:57 – Save your Reels to your phone
- 35:35 – Answering your questions and sharing my Reels process
Focusing on the long game
You are not a content creator, you are a business owner. That means you want your content to work for you as long as possible. Yes, it’s important to stay on top of trends — like Reels themselves — when using social media to grow your business. But you don’t want to be making disposable content.
Get people to read the caption
Reels work best when they’re kept short. But if the information you’re trying to provide needs a little more context or depth, it’s important to point people in the direction of your caption to go deeper. In your caption, after you have their attention and have provided them with something valuable, you should take them a step further with a second call to action, whether that’s to download or sign up for something.
Make it fun while also making it educational or informative
You don’t have to dance and lip sync to do Reels right. They can be a bit more work, but they can also be incredibly impactful. The dancing ones do tend to get more views, but remember, we’re not after views. We’re after business results and conversion. The most important thing is to make them helpful.
Listen to the full episode for all ten of my tips. Remember, Reels are meant to be fun but they also need to support and grow your business. Experiment, find what works for you, and make sure they make sense.
Listen to On Your Terms on your favorite podcast platform
Listen to the show on your favorite podcast player and be sure to follow, and leave a review to help introduce the show to more online business owners just like you!
Resources Discussed in This Episode
- Get $100 off Louise Henry’s Uplevel With Asana course (what I used to get SO organized in my business) here: https://samvanderwielen.krtra.com/t/QwGmfvsPA2Xc [affiliate link]
- IG Music Legal Tips from IG — https://about.instagram.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/updates-and-guidelines-for-including-music-in-video/
- IG Reels Audio tips from IG — https://help.instagram.com/270447560766967/?helpref=hc_fnav
- FB Music Legal Guidelines — https://www.facebook.com/legal/music_guidelines
If you’re ready to legally protect and grow your online business today, save your seat in my free workshop so you can learn how to take the simple legal steps to protect the business you’ve worked so hard to build. Click here to watch the free workshop so you can get legally legit right now!
- Read Sam’s Blog for the latest legal tips, podcast episodes & behind the scenes of building her seven-figure business.
- Listen to our customer stories to see how getting legally legit has helped 1,000s of entrepreneurs grow their own businesses.
- Join the Free Legal Workshop
- Follow Sam on Instagram for legal tips, business-building advice & daily food + Hudson pics
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow my podcast, On Your Terms, on Instagram so you catch all our episodes
- Subscribe and follow on all podcast platforms and activate notifications for new episodes
- Kajabi // use Kajabi to sell your course, program, or even build your entire website. Get a 30-day free trial with my link.
- SamCart // what I use for my checkout pages and payment processing and LOVE. And no, not because it’s my name.
- ConvertKit // what I use to build my email list, send emails to my list, and create opt-in forms & pages.
DISCLAIMER: Although Sam is an attorney she doesn’t practice law and can’t give you legal advice. All episodes of On Your Terms are educational and informational only. The information discussed here isn’t legal advice and isn’t intended to be. The info you hear here isn’t a substitute for seeking legal advice from your own attorney.
AFFILIATE LINKS: Some of the links we share here may be affiliate links, which means we may make a small financial reward for referring you, without any cost difference to you. You’re not obligated to use these links, but it does help us to share resources. Thank you for supporting our business!
On Your Terms is a production of Crate Media.