WHAT IS A LICENSE AGREEMENT?
A License Agreement is one where you set the terms of how others can use your intellectual property.
In short, a license agreement is a contract that grants permitted use for your intellectual property. Typically, the license is needed if a customer intends to use the IP for revenue-generating activities. The license will list the assets or deliverables included, how the assets may be used, restricted use, and exclusion of other rights. It sets out the terms of your agreement in writing so you’re able to try to enforce it, if/when needed. This License Agreement template specifies:
- Individual assets included in the agreement
- If the licensee can use the IP license multiple times or once
- Exactly how each asset may be used – and for what purpose
- What the licensee is prohibited from doing with the IP
DO I NEED IT?
Do you grant customers or clients to use your Intellectual Property for their own specific use? For example, do you have a website design template or email copy template that you allow your customers to use? Do you want to make sure they understand the terms of your license agreement and Intellectual Property use? Do you want to be able to restrict how your Intellectual Property may be used by others? Then yes! A License Agreement makes it super clear…
- If you’ve granted an exclusive or non-exclusive license
- Terms of payment, including fee and time period license is valid for
- When the term automatically terminates – and what the licensee can do to renew it
- How and when the license might be terminated
- Your refund policy
- Fewer refunds, miscommunications, and complaints.
- Getting paid, even if a customer cancels her credit card mid-payment
- Disclaiming liability so you can’t successfully be sued for just anything
- Keeping your costs low by requiring alternative dispute resolution (aka. arbitration)
DO I NEED IT?
- Get paid by setting out payment terms
- Enforce your refund policy, since it’s clearly spelled out in the agreement
- Protect yourself & your company with disclaimers & limitations on liability
- & so much more!
- DIY License Agreement Template – One (1) downloadable, editable, .docx file containing a detailed License Agreement template with fill-in-the-blanks to make your own.
- How-To Video Tutorial – a video tutorial (screen share video of me walking you through the actual agreement itself) where I walk you through what each paragraph means (in English, not legal language) and where you’ll make changes. You’ll be confident and comfortable making the License Agreement your own.
- BONUS: you’ll receive my Business Startup Checklist to make sure you’re on the right track.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO ONCE I PURCHASE THE TEMPLATE?
- Download the template
- Next, fill-in-the-blanks! Follow along with my How-To Video Tutorial, which shows you where you need to put in your info
- Read through the entire document and make any necessary changes based on how you run and operate your business and website
- Use it right away! You can start sending this document to customers right away!
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Any entrepreneur or business owner who needs to set limits on how customers can legally use their Intellectual Property. A license agreement is typically used in conjunction with an online course.
IMPORTANT: This document is a downloadable, customizable general template for you to make your own and fit to your business. Purchase of this or any other document from this Site does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sam Vander Wielen. The documents, or anything on this Site, should not be construed as legal advice. You should have all documents you use or prepare reviewed by a local attorney to ensure they comply with State and local laws where you live and work. Sam Vander Wielen is licensed to practice law in New Jersey. Use of this Site, and purchase of any documents, are subject to these Terms and Conditions.
QUESTIONS? Email [email protected]